Thursday, May 31

Palaui Island. Pushing for South China Sea


"the world is my playground"

On day 3 of our Roadtrip sa Norte, we took a van for PhP170.00 at Don Domingo Market in Tuguegarao City further north to Sta.Ana for a little-over a couple of hours. Our target was Palaui Island on the upper-right-hand corner of Luzon, but on our way there we heard about the Boracays of the North: Nangamaroan and Anguib. I had about PhP1,500 left on me from my budget, and my company had just a little bit more, which got us on a dilemma on how to get to both destinations within that budget for the 2 days left in our trip.

We then took a tricycle to San Vicente, in a small section of the beach (instead of the concrete port from where a fair boat rate of PhP1,800 is posted) where locals unload their catch of the day. Our strategy was to scout for non-tourist boats that island locals take to go back to Palaui. I have told my travel-buddy Pia that I'll use charm as my currency, but I have about as much charm as a dead slug. I must admit, I was getting desperate. I've been planning this trip for a couple of months -- I'm not about to back out for a simple budget limitation. Patience and perseverance though have its rewards, because the locals called Mang Nanding: dispatcher of PASAMOBA Boat Association, and I earned myself a new uncle!

Uncle Nanding (my mother's new cousin) drew us a map of the island on the sand --very much like a pirate-- and pointed at the areas he recommend for us to see. He also devised the most cost-effective way for us to stretch our budget for the places we wanted to see. He was the best lifeline I've tapped into from all those trips I've taken. This is a man I will vouch for.


 

Ready or not, off we go then to see Cape Engano Lighthouse. The seascape was wonderful and captivated me as always. The area of the Babuyan Channel has its own characteristics -- all the jagged rocks shooting out of the water, steep cliffs and boulder-lined shores, and those gently rolling hills from the distance.


Cape Engano Lighthouse perched up on the hill

we have landed


a fantabulous view!

Spotting the disused lighthouse from a distance got me all excited. It was beautiful and enchanting from the sea, perched up on that hill. We were so excited, the midday sun didn't even dent it. The trek was made short by the concrete stairway that goes halfway up and the view was fantabulous! You should've been there with me . . .

Cape Engano Lighthouse

the view from the window is worthy of a painting

We spent the rest of the day hanging out at the low waterfall in the island before heading off to Crocodile Island where it was recommended we camp for the night -- it's nearby; we'll be the only ones there; and best of all, it's FREE! It's a small stretch of sand and rock that doesn't disappear with the tide. I would've said Perfect! except even in this beautiful piece of rock in the middle of the sea, there's garbage on it. tsk-tsk-tsk!


an island of our own (on our own)
From this point forward, the trip has become a light-show. I was stilled by the most beautiful skies. Sunsets that turned me orange before the natural lighting made one look pretty. We had the most beautiful twilight. The deceiving kind then you don't exactly know whether it's sunset or sunrise -- it was surreal. 

checking out the shallows from this height

watching the sky turn colors

The day was over too soon. The waves lapped nearby as darkness came. The stars filled the night and the moon solitary in the sky. We broke camp when day came and our bangkeros came to collect us.



Read the Roadtrip sa Norte series of entries:

1 comment:

  1. oooh wow!!! sana makagala na din ako...gagalingan ko na nang bongga... gigicam here we go :D

    ReplyDelete