Tuesday, May 22

Mayon: a universe on itself



Mayon as a back-draft to Cagsawa Ruins
Cagsawa Ruins was a half-day side-trip my friends and I took coming back from Catanduanes. The idea of going there tickled me because one of my favorite photographs as a child was taken there -- it would be great to have a years-after shot . . .
 
I'm not sure who I am with in this picture -- age unknown
 


I've never paid much attention before to the scholastic promotion of Mt. Mayon in school, convinced it's one of those cliched tourism propaganda from teachers that had never actually seen the volcano up close (or as close as they could, other than from the page of a text book or a magazine). 

a view of Mayon from the airport runway
leaving Mayon  from the pier of Tabaco
twilight and Mayon from Embarkadero
But seeing Mt. Mayon myself at different angles on different times of the day -- I fell in love with it! Imagine having any one of these views as a permanent screensaver outside your bedroom window. I've never seen a mountain . . . a volcano (with the exception of Pinatubo) as beautiful as it is. Perfect!

About once a month, I get a good look at the "depth of my existence". This normally happens when I'm traveling solo. And in the part of this trip to Catanduanes I was traveling alone, this is the little-bit-about-myself I've gotten to know: I HAVE DEVELOPED SOCIAL RETARDATION.

I believe it all started when I lost the fear to be alone. When I was younger, I just wanted to be independent. I made sure I wasn't crippled by anything, the way I saw some of the men I was impressed with. I saw how nothing held them back and I wanted to be the same. Once I knew I could stand on my own, I've moved on to various destinations solo. And this solo traveling had become the perfect analogy for my life.

More often than not, I am convinced there's no difference if I'm with a travel-buddy or not. I have long stopped worrying whether I have anyone to go places with. Far from being unstimulated, I am highly entertained with the simplest things, when on my own. At the same time however, I get distressed watching people discourage others in front of another's company. I wonder about relationships (whether familial, romantic or friendship) -- practically any form of human relationship -- and how it could exist between people despite appearing dismal.

When I don't feel like socially experimenting, I can recognize loneliness in the most oddest of things . . . I know people partner with others simply for physical attraction. People allow themselves to be with someone, infatuated with their idea of that person, despite nothing enriching between them.

It doesn't make sense to me . . .

At these times, I ask myself have I become totally degenerate socially that I am unable to see which part of these relationships are good?!? 


More than what I saw as landmarks on the side-trip itself, I wanted to share with you what became clearer to me during this solo trip -- A person must find the right company to keep . . . or just learn to be a universe of your own.





GETTING THERE (from Legaspi) BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT / DAMAGE TO THE POCKET (at the time of posting):
* Route 1: Guinobatan jeep to (PhP15/head) to the highway junction leading to the ruins
. Tricycle to get you into the ruins' gate (PhP14/head).
* Route 2: Tricycle direct to Cagsawa Ruins. Special trip for a minimum of 5 passengers for PhP250 or PhP45/head with as many as you can fit in 1 tricycle
   Park entrance is P10/head

1 comment:


  1. Beauty in of itself, I love it and may your journey continue full of majesty as is.

    ReplyDelete